Wednesday 16 March 2011

Of Women's Rights and Mosques

Here is an appeal to all my sisters of women’s rights organisations who are busy protesting against veils and chaar diwari. (Don’t take me wrong, some of them are doing commendable work!) While you’re on the subject of women’s rights, why not ask for public areas for women to pray?

Then again, how can I blame the women when our self-righteous brothers sitting in the mosques look at a woman in horror if she dares enter and ask whether there is any place for women to pray. In the Islamic Republic of Pakistan, where we have at least two mosques in every little town, women have to think more than twice before entering one. Maybe they think women should not be out of their homes to begin with? Those who pray regularly, that is. Perhaps we have sinned so grossly by stepping outdoors that we are no longer entitled to stand for prayer?

Our maulvi brethren, the custodians of our mosques, are apparently too busy measuring beard lengths and conspiring Hajj scandals to go through the trouble of making suitable arrangements for women to pray. Is a little space and a separate entrance asking for too much? Before my brothers start foaming at the mouth chanting "thou shalt not pray alongside men" or "women can't pray in the mosque", let me ask them, would you rather have us praying in the open receiving curious and otherwise stares from throngs of men? The Prophet (PBUH) never forbade women from entering the mosque.

‘Do not prevent the female servants of Allah from going to the mosque of Allah.’ [Sahih Muslim Vol.1 Chapter 177 Hadith No.886]

I have read several articles written by Muslims in America and Europe perpetually looking for convenient places to pray and ending up praying in changing rooms and I find myself relating to them. They, at least, have the excuse of residing in Non-Muslim countries. Pretty much proves that women are second grade citizens in Pakistan.

I’m sure many people won’t identify this as a big problem in a country where the general public has to struggle for basic human rights. Women are not the only second grade citizens in this country. However, I feel this issue has to be pointed out as it is symbolic of the hypocrisy that is rife in our society.

Meanwhile, I’ll keep looking at my brothers enviously as they enjoy the luxury to pray pretty much any where, while I think of the most convenient way to pray in my car. 

1 comment:

  1. Every word is true my sis.Unfortunately we live in a society where men make all the rules and not ALLAH and his given guidance THE HOLY QURAN.
    Totally agree with you on every word.

    ReplyDelete